Monday, October 09, 2006

First vet appointment

Miss Savannah went to visit our vet for the first time today. Actually, it was one of the two back-up vets that we don't like, but oh, well. She had her second shot and got all checked out, as they want to do the first time they see them. She didn't have any fleas or flea dirt, so that was good...and a bit surprising for the Willamette Valley. She weighed 9.4 lbs. at 10 weeks. I think that's darn good for going to a new home and messing with eating schedules, etc., just 5 days ago. And not a single accident in the house or in her crate so far, knock on wood. We'll have to get her up on the table and try to take some stacking pictures...good time to practice. I also need to order show collar and lead for her...got to have black for this one. Any preferences between silver and gold collar, folks?

Ethan is still unsure about her in the house, though definitely better. Today at lunch, Libby had rolled Ef over on his back and Savannah got too close to him. He made ugly face at her, but then seemed to apologize and check her out when it was over. A while after that, he'd found a stick he thoroughly cherished and played keep away from Libby with it. Then, when Savannah came over, he dropped it so she could take it and then stuck with her so Libby couldn't take it from her. Awwww...the first sign of sharing! Thank goodness!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

territorial semi alpha boy... terd. :P
Cant' wait to see stacked pictures of baby girl...
and don't talk to me about no accidents... just don't go there. grrrr.

Anonymous said...

Silver. Always.

Glad E boy is being fairly good. You have improved with the pack-leader skills!

CardiLover said...

See, I always vote silver, too. We use a semi gold one on Ethan due to an emergency buy and then it turned out to be the only one to fit. What size do you typically use for a little puppy? 16"?

And thanks for the compliment. I think we're getting it under control. He's doing pretty well, considering. Today we'll have a private Ethan/Savannah play session so he deals with just making nice with her and not protecting Libby.

Anonymous said...

Silver all the way on blues or blacks.

I think you need two collar sizes. I want to say my puppy ones are 14"? Or 12"?

CardiLover said...

That's exactly what I couldn't remember. I know we had a smaller one for Ethan, but it fell between the cracks on the deck and we replaced it with an 18" and then got a 19"...not too helpful for little girl puppies, I'm afraid. Her around the house collar is a 12", so maybe 14"? Better to have it a bit big than too small and used only once, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I would do a 14" collar.... that's what I'll be getting for miss Sedona. I had one, but gave it away... *slap* Ultimately, I don't expect the girls to be wearing the bit 18" collars we have for the big boys.... Mandy, what size is Banana wearing???

Anonymous said...

Well I'm not Mandy, but Leo wears a 16" collar. He's about 30 pounds.