Thursday, March 08, 2007

What to do, what to do?

My mom used to sort of sing song that sometimes when one of us kids had a decision to make. Well, now I guess it's my turn to sing song about one of my "kids" and decision to be made. What to do, what to do?

Paul's company is changing product lines, selling plants, and minimizing work force. While he's still gainfully employed, many of his co-workers aren't and he gets to take on some of their duties. They also are going to a set vacation schedule, meaning the plant closes and everyone is on vacation. When the plant's open, no one gets to be on vacation. Lovely.

What's the decision to made? There are a few actually. Nationals is in May, but it is almost a complete impossibility that Paul will be able to go. So, do I want to go without him? Which dog or dogs should I bring with me? Is it worth making the trip? How do I enter the Megan if I'm not a member (or how fast can I become a member, even though I'm not sure I want to be...see the COE debate on the ShowCardi list today, which really all boils down to color breeding...but I digress...)? Should I even bother trying? Should I go all alone or coerce someone into riding with me? If I only take one dog, which one and why?

Here are my initial thoughts. Breeders can spot too much hair in an instant and, even if we've got a glamour coat, it's probably too much to expect to do anything in Nationals...love what's under the hair better than a lot of the ones I've seen out there, but don't expect most people to get beyond that, especially at her current age...we'll see what happens in a year or so. So, taking Savannah is likely out, gorgeous movement and all.

So, that leaves going for Ethan. I love Ethan. I think he's a darn nice red dog. Do I think he's worth putting in BOB at Nationals? No. Do I think he'd do alright in the Megan against other red dogs? I think so, but I'm biased. Do I think this may be his only chance to find a girlfriend besides his "sister" (ewwww!!!)? Probably. So, if I do it, it would only be for Ethan and only for the Megan, most likely.

Which brings us to the more logistical questions...how fast can I make him eligible to show in the Megan? And who is going to handle him? Now, don't look at me! I've shown a 6 month old puppy once...this is Nationals and he's red and he needs someone with more experience, so who? And how long do I stay? And do I get someone to ride with me? And how many yarn shops are near Pleasanton? Oh, sorry, meandering thoughts again.

After all that, what say you? I guess the essential question is, "Is it worth showing Ethan in the Megan?" I think everything else could be worked out from there. And don't be swayed by "but you've got to go," "you know you really want to," "you so don't want to miss it," or "it won't be near us again for another 4 years," please. In other words, HELP!!! Wish I knew how to put up a poll on Blogger!!!

7 comments:

Traci said...

Honestly....
YES. I think you should go. It's a great experience and gives you a great opportunity to look at a HELL of a lot of Cardigans (both good and bad) in one area. I'd be happy to show Ethan for you in the Red Dog class in the Megan should you choose to do that... I'm taking Kota for just that reason... will he win? no. but why the heck not take him and enter him!
If you go alone, I'm sure there's no trailer, which would mean getting a hotel room... not all that bad, as the hotels are nice and really close to the show site. And YES, there are lots of places to buy yarn nearby ;-) Ask me... remember, i lived in that exact area for a year after breaking up with dimwhit. :)
So my summary.... why the hell not. It'd be a great experience and you DO have a nice red dog to show in BOB and the Megan. maybe we can just change his registration and add whoever is going to show him to it, then change it back...? How long does that take?
I'm seriously considering, myself, whether I want to be a member of the CWCCA at this point... it always boils down to color breeding... something I do not believe in.
So... Go to nationals if you have the chance. You will definately not regret it. I promise you that.

Jeri said...

Yes I think you should go too. The Nationals isn't about a "show" per se...it's about dogs! Even if you don't show ANYTHING, I'd go. You meet people, you see lots and lots of dogs, and from other parts of the country that you don't usually see. You learn. You have fun.

As far as Ethan goes, I'd think it's probably too late to get a membership approved for the CWCCA...that usually takes a while, has to be published in the Newsletter to see if there are any objections, etc. I'd guess you have a better chance of getting his ownership changed. I'd enter him in breed at any rate...just making the cut at a National is fun. :o) I entered Zach for fun in St Louis in '04, and he made the first cut...I was thrilled!

And the thing to keep in mind about Savannah...sometimes, breeders are MORE forgiving about certain faults, because they'd much rather see the structure. I don't know/remember who the judges are for the National, but it's worth looking into it. There are plenty of dogs out there with too much/too soft coat. I've seen them go up at specialties.

Baledwr said...

Nancy Cunliffe is doing breed if I remember correctly - Savannah wouldn't do anything but she has red dogs so won't overlook them for color, lol...and her Albert's front is wider than Ethan's...

You can sign on someone as a co-owner. Doesn't take long.

I'm not a member and though was considering it again this witch hunt is making me mad again! We all know (well many of us know) that it's aimed at certain people and I would bet that Leda is one of them. Some people in the club hold grudges way toooo long. I know that as a non-member I can't vote but at this point who knows if I could even get in. At this time I have no plans for a cross-color litter but I do like the open options...ok got off on a rant there...

CardiLover said...

Okay, so I'll go. Now to figure out the details. It sounds like I need to take Ef. Anybody know where the written rules for the Megan are? Does the handler also have to be an owner and also have to be a club member or what? Finding someone to handle him in BOB seems the bigger issue...everyone I know that's going will have their own dog to handle in BOB, right? Now what?

Traci said...

I think you only have to be a member for the Megan... I *think*... not sure. Can anyone confirm this?
YAY! It'll be so great.

CardiLover said...

I found the catalog on the Nationals website. It gave me lots more questions, but it answered the Megan one and one I hadn't even thought of about the Megan. Turns out it's just owned or co-owned by a member...and any finished champion, even spayed or neutered can be shown in the Megan. Wow!

Now, which hotel and what events?

Traci said...

Look at the host hotels first... and if there's not room, contact me privately and I'll do some searching for you.
As for which events, if you're taking Ethan, he should be entered in the Megan and BOB if you can get his papers worked out (maybe just add one of us, or his breeder as a co-owner?) and if you're taking Savannah Banana, enter her in sweeps & regular classes. if Ethan will sit and down and stay and not be naughty, you could enter him in the CGC testing too...
I'm going to enter Kota in BOB, Megan, Rally Excellent and the TDI testing..
Sedona will be entered in Sweeps, regular classes and I think that's it. I think she's too naughty yet for CGC testing ;-)